Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Oven/Stove Cleaning

I think baking soda is one of the greatest things ever. It is so versatile. Recently, I needed to clean my oven. Like spilled something in the bottom inducing smoke whenever I turned the oven on needed to clean it. In my current state (extremely pregnant) I know that I can't use many cleaning products because of their fumes. So, I started trying to find a safe way to clean the oven. Everything I read said just not to clean it while pregnant. Well, this would work if I didn't need to cook, but I 1) love to cook and 2) need to cook to eat. After much searching, I saw a passing reference to using baking soda for cleaning grime off of stove eye protectors and out of ovens. So, here's the deal, sprinkle baking soda along the inside of a cold oven. Spray with water until it's fairly moist. Let sit for a few hours then wipe it all out. It works great! You can also use this to clean dirt and rust stains off the eye protectors from the stove top. Best of all, there are no fumes! Some things say to use vinegar which does create a cool bubbling effect, but I prefer water. Water works just as well and it doesn't cost anything.

Cost breakdown:
Baking soda $0.58 for a pound (you won't use a pound cleaning the oven unless the oven is really, really, really dirty
Water free

Doesn't this make you want to clean your oven. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment