Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Cloth Diapers

My son on the changing table.
I love using cloth diapers. Now, these aren't the kind with safety pins and origami folding required. These are really easy to use and easy to clean. We decided to use cloth to save money. I also find the few times I use disposables for some reason that the extra trash created by the disposables is a nuisance. My son also does not have as much diaper rash with the cloth. There is a bit more up front cost involved because you have to buy enough diapers, but when you add up the cost of disposables versus the cost of cloth, cloth wins in my opinion. Here are some facts about the All In One diapers that we use.

We hang our diapers up to dry rather than putting them in the dryer. They can go in the dryer, but we want them to last as long as possible! If you're going to cloth diaper and plan to hang them to dry, figure it will take about 24 hours for them to fully dry.

The type of detergent matters. Of course this makes sense because the diapers are touching the most sensitive skin. There are lists online of safe detergents. I use my homemade detergent and have no problems!

The type of diaper ointment matters. If your baby does develop a diaper rash, the standard diaper ointment can't be used because it effects the absorbency of the diapers. All natural ointments can be used. They sell appropriate ointments at most grocery stores.

The all in ones come in snaps or hook in loop. I prefer the snaps because as my son gets bigger, the snaps will be harder for him to take off. Also, the snaps last longer! The advantage of the hook in loops is that you can get a more exact fit, but for me longevity is key.

We bought one size diapers. These fit from about 8 pounds to about 35 pounds. You just adjust either the snaps or the elastic depending upon the brand. My son was big enough at birth to fit in these, but we used disposables until his belly button nub fell off.

If the Lord allows us to have more children, we will be able to use the same diapers for them, so the savings will just increase if that's the case!

There's several other things I was going to say about why I love cloth diapers, but my son just woke up from his nap, so I've got to wrap this up! If you're interested in cloth and want more info, please feel free to contact me!

I'm not going to list the cost comparison because there are a lot of factors involved (what brand disposables you would use, how many cloth you want to buy based on how often you would wash, what brand you're using, etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment