Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Cloth Diapers - Part 2 & Cloth wipes

My son's afternoon nap seems like a great time to finish up my post on cloth diapers. One reason many people aren't interested in cloth diapers is dealing with dirty diapers. Visions of swishing diapers in the toilet may play in your head. Thankfully there is a wonderful invention called a diaper sprayer. It attaches to the toilet and works basically like a kitchen sink sprayer but is more powerful. They are easy to install and don't damage the plumbing (we were able to put one in at our apartment). You just spray the poo into the toilet and the diaper is ready to wash.

We also use cloth wipes. My son has very sensitive skin and if I use disposable wipes, I have to use the unscented hypoallergenic (expensive) kind or he develops diaper rash. With cloth wipes, I just wet them with warm water and store them in a wipes warmer. Some people use baby oil and a few drops of essential oils, but plain water has worked well for me so far! The same places that sell cloth diapers sell wipes though really any very soft fabric will do.

I prefer the cloth wipes also because of how I've always changed dirty diapers. Maybe you have the same technique: wipe as much into the diaper as possible then pile the dirty wipes into the diaper. With disposable diapers and disposable wipes this rolled up yuck goes in the trash. If both are cloth, they go to be sprayed off and then are ready to wash. If the diapers are cloth and the wipes are disposable...well...I end up washing disposable wipes or accidentally throwing them in the toilet.

Cloth wipes also save money and just get washed with the cloth diapers. I use fewer cloth wipes than disposable wipes because the cloth can be used on both sides and are more sturdy for cleaning up a mess. I don't get anything on my hands when I use cloth.

I hope this information helps if you're looking into cloth! Happy diapering :-)

1 comment:

  1. We love cloth diapers. :) Glad you are enjoying them. I was just about to ask you on your other post if you used cloth wipes or had a diaper sprayer. :) I have also used cloth swim diapers the past 2 summers which were great. We even take cloth diapers on trips with us or vacation. (I realize that's not for everyone though.) For applying diaper creams and such we have also used flushable liners with great success. Take care! I'm looking forward to your new blog.

    ReplyDelete