Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Contentment

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content." Philippians 4:11
"But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content." 1 Timothy 6:8
"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5


I love looking forward to things. One look at my calendar would show you this. I have marked how many more weeks until my baby will be born. How many weeks old my son is. I count down how many more weeks (ish) until my husband returns home from this deployment. Not just the big things though; I look forward to weekends and play dates and family visits. I look forward to the next milestone in my son's life. I've always been one to look forward. 


And then as I pray and study, I find the Lord pushing me to contentment. Some of the verses listed above speak of financial contentment, but that isn't really where I struggle. I've never been concerned about having things. I'm thankful that the Lord provides what we need. I don't care too much for things. I'd rather wash my clothes on a washboard than with a washing machine (though sometimes a washing machine is quite the lifesaver). I'd rather make things from scratch than purchase it for more. No, the type of contentment I struggle with is being content in the moment. 


My need for learning contentment is in enjoying the moment instead of planning for the next. It is enjoying watching my son rock back and forth on his hands and knees instead of hoping he'll start crawling. It's enjoying the cuddles and night time feedings instead of hoping that eventually he will sleep through the night. For me it's enjoying the conversations my husband and I have rather than spending too much time wishing he was already home. 


It isn't that planning ahead is a bad thing. The woman in Proverbs 31 obviously plans ahead because she ensures her family has warm clothes for the winter. She buys land that she knows will be profitable in the future. So, it isn't that planning is bad. With all that will be coming up in the next few months for me, planning is required. I have a birthday party to plan for my son, a welcome home party for my amazing husband, plus planning for keeping everything running after the baby is born. No, contentment isn't about not planning. Contentment is about being thankful for this moment. It's being thankful for what God is doing in my life today. James reminds us "What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." (James 4:14). Life is short and each day is a gift from God. 


So may God teach me contentment in today because today is a gift and tomorrow is not promised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment